More than 3989 people are serving IPP (Imprisonment for Public Protection) sentences in British prisons(1). Five years since the sentence was legally abolished, thousands still languish in jails with no release date. Parole board delays, prison overcrowding and sheer neglect is leading to unprecedented rates of prisoner suicides. IPPs have one of the highest rates of self harm in the prison system in its entirety(2). 80% are over tariff and desperate to be free.
Only last year, a prisoner whom Smash IPP supported died in prison. We have worked with IPP families who have lost their kids and their partners. Children have grown up with having a parent stolen by this sentence. A Mother with a son who’s an IPP describes the IPP sentence as a “Death sentence”. One IPP wrote how “Our families are doing the sentence just us much as us, is it right for them to never know if we will ever come home? Sometimes I feel that if I died it would be better for them because they could bury me and move on with their lives and not worry anymore.”
Smash IPP say enough is enough. This is life and death. We will not let any more people die because of prison bureaucracy and neglect. This year we call for a year of action to free all IPPs.
The time is now to escalate and generate unrelenting pressure on the government, prison profiteers and the parole boards who are all complicit in ripping families apart, ruining lives and killing working class young people who have died as a result of the mental strain of being an IPP.
We want to help build relationships between IPP prisoners and their families and anarchists and others that are experienced in campaigning and anti-state struggle. We want to overcome the brutality and social isolation that prison inflicts on us and come together to fight back.
Smash IPP! Set them Free!
If you are keen to get involved in any way please contact Smash IPP: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are looking for:
- Groups that can host nights on an upcoming info tour about this horrific sentence. We will be talking about what IPP is, share stories from people who have been affected by it and explore what we can do to fight it!
- Fundraising help & donations
- Individuals that are keen to get involved in the Smash IPP collective to make this year of action a success
- Individuals that can potentially support prisoner families with their campaigns
- Letter writing buddies for IPP prisoners
- Groups to emerge around the UK that can organise actions and get involved with current resistance
1. For more information about IPP sentences see: smashipp.noflag.org.uk